"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Friday, February 15, 2013

Things that Sparkle

I love glitter, it's no secret. I'd probably put it up there next to bacon and Kirk (although glitter is not nearly as tasty as either of those delights) because it brings me such giddiness.

As I was deciding what to do for my siblings for Christmas, and feeling a little stuck because of our tight budget, a brilliant thought came to me. I have been feeling lately that with everyone growing up, moving out, finding their long-repressed independence, and making wherever they live their own home, that I needed to create something for each of them to beautify their space, wherever that may be:







I picked colors and styles suited to each home, and with a lot of double-sided tape and a lot of glitter (both from American Crafts), whipped these out relatively quickly. The bottles are various glass bottles I've been collecting because the shapes were too pretty for me to get rid of (and our recycling bin doesn't allow glass- who ever heard of something so ridiculous?).

The plant I used was a philodendron I inherited from my grandmother, and it is super easy to get starts from: simply clip a stem with several nodules, which can turn into roots, and place the clipping in a jar of water. Once the roots are developed, the clipping can be replanted in soil. All of these bottles are full of water, so plant maintenance is pretty much nonexistent. These little plants are hearty souls. As long as their roots are wet and they get to see sunshine once in a while, they do pretty well. So, keeping these in a bottle of water won't be a problem.

I'm happy that I could give something that was beautiful, didn't cost us much money, fit each home's personality, had a little sentimentality attached to it, was low-maintenance, and was handmade with love. Perfect. What was the best gift you gave this last Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment