"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Giver

For our most recent Literary Club read, we savored The Giver, by Lois Lowry:


This Newberry Award winner is one of my favorites, and as such, I've revisited this treasure about 5 times so far in my little life. Admittedly, much of the symbolism and discussion topics aren't as veiled, but I chalk that up to the adolescent literature genre. We had a riveting discussion, and some of our topics included:
  • A utopian society founded on all the good governing principals, and even with the best intentions for equality, health, safety, manners, peace, and wholesome work is passive and dystopiac in nature.
  • This novel as read through an atonement and Christian lens lends an interesting perspective.
  • The ways in which mothers and nurturers are separated as two different roles and the ways each role is valued
  • False vs. true emotions, memories, relationships, existence
  • Technology vs. simplicity
  • The significance of a name
Have you read this book? What is your favorite part about it?

1 comment:

  1. I liked the main character's friend Asher: "I want my smack!"

    ReplyDelete