"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Sunday, October 13, 2013

Hoover Dam

The three of us took an impromptu trip to see the Hoover Dam because I promised myself that the next time I went to my favorite Nevada town that, by golly, I would make a trip to see the dam. So, as we were enjoying the last rays of a gorgeous Nevada sunset, we started driving toward the dam:

 

This photo is just the beginning of the bridge spanning the canyon. The dam is off to the left and hidden behind some hills. Don't judge. It's the best picture I could get from our lookout point. 

The plus-sides of seeing it in the dark: 1) you don't have to pay any fees on those dumb new toll roads they recently put up because they're closed in the evenings, 2) no tourists to have to work around, and 3) driving at night is one of the best things in the world (it's so therapeutic and relaxing to me). And 4), this engineering feat is remarkable. I can't believe this was built in the 30's. People are so smart!

The down-sides of seeing it in the dark: 1) limited vision, and 2) a little miss cranky-pants who doesn't appreciate staying up late, even if she slept the entire time on the way there and most of the way back. Give a mom a break, would 'ya?

So, the deed is done. We've been to the Hoover Dam. My determination paid off, but it came at a high price and made for an awful drive back home. I'd love to take a tour of it one day, though, to appreciate all the intricacies and maybe with a kid who isn't overly tired and hangry and trying hard to be patient. Determination, turns out, can be a friend or foe. Just ask Macbeth.

In deciding if this was a successful example of determination or not...um, it's probably not. (Sorry little miss cranky-pants. Thanks for humoring me anyway.)

What about you? What things in your life recently have you exercised determination to complete, and was it worth it or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment