"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Friendly Reunion

On our trip to visit my Nevada roots, we spent some quality time with my great-grandparents in a tacky pioneer cemetery in the small town my mama grew up in. They can't help that it's ugly. It's not like they can cover everything with grass. Even though it is truthfully an ugly place, I still like it because it reminds me of all the people I love. Plus, it speaks to the harsh environment and hearty people (of which I am one) who made it their home, which is entirely appropriate:








 You may be interested to know that I learned how to drive in this cemetery when I was about 8 years old. (Thanks, grandma, you're the best!) I wish you could all spend an hour perusing this little gem of burial land, because it has some of the most interesting monuments and hodgepodge of memorials. You know, only if cemeteries are your thing. It makes me wonder if any of the people buried there imagined this would be their final resting place. I'm pretty sure my great-grandparents did not.

It also makes me imagine my own. I always planned on donating my body to science then getting cremated, but I'm starting to understand how important a resting place is to people (even after they have passed on and can't do anything about it themselves). What about you? What do you imagine your final resting place to be?

1 comment:

  1. I have always requested to put my mortal remains in a garbage bag, and take me out to the trash on garbage day. Then use the money you would have spent on the expensive funeral and go on a fun family trip. I know that request would never be honored because it’s against the law. I wonder how many people actually do get the funeral, wake, or memorial service they were hoping for?

    ReplyDelete