"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Sunday, September 29, 2013

Oklahoma Aquarium

So, what exactly is there to do in Oklahoma? That's what I asked myself on a recent business trip. Turns out that there's a lot, actually, so when I got an opportunity to travel to Tulsa for work, I made sure to do my research. I did not have a lot of free time, but when I had a few extra hours one afternoon, I took a little trip to the Oklahoma Aquarium, home of the world's largest bull shark exhibit:














So, yes. The sharks. I know that colon before the photos was misleading. I bet you thought you were going to see pictures of them. Sorry, folks. They steal my breath right out of my chest. I was too mesmerized with their elegance to fiddle with my camera. Not ideal photography situation, you know, so there you have it. I got to watch the aquarium workers feed the electric eel, piranhas, and archer fish. Sa-weet! There were a bunch of touch tanks, too, with horseshoe crabs, shrimp, urchins, starfish, and stingrays. Oh. My. Word. Heaven, I tell you!

Nevermind that I was wading through curious children the entire time to get my own turn at all the touch tanks and front row seat for the poison dart frogs. I learned so much, and I love nature and animals, as I'm sure you already know, so I was in heaven. Combine bright colors with living creatures and a learning environment, and I'm a happy camper. So, here's my favorite tidbit of previously unknown information: ribbon eels are all born male. As adolescents, they are black, then as mature males, they are a shocking blue, then right before their time is up, they turn bright yellow, and into females, mate, then die. Nature is amazing!

Please share something new you've learned recently! This is a place that welcomes learning.

1 comment: