"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hillbillies, Sasquatch and Soul-searching


Kirk's family has an annual tradition that includes a long and beautiful drive, lots of fishing, and staying in what we like to call the hillbilly cabins near Fish Lake. Doesn't this place look like an 8-kid hillbilly family could comfortably reside here? Love it. And, as a bonus to all that, the cabin next to us was visited by a very hungry Sasquatch, who rummaged through their garbage then barged into the cabin to steal some snacks. It's too bad we were asleep when the rest of our family got a visit, because I would have loved to get a picture of that. Bummer. I did, however, manage to take some photos of those cray-cray people we love and our peaceful surroundings for your enjoyment:









It was beautiful this year, not too hot, and not too cold. The company was good, we heartily enjoyed mountain rainstorms (which are pretty close to the top of my "most favorite things ever about nature" list), saw a breathtaking astronomical display, and we gave the little sprout her first taste of the joys of boating. It was a success. (Her first taste of fishing, on the other hand, wasn't such a hit, but that's another story.

My favorite thing about being in the mountains is the peace. I have always been able to literally feel myself relax as soon as I'm out in the wilderness: my shoulder muscles loosen, my attitude becomes more carefree, my breathing is more intentional. I appreciate all of my senses much more. I discover me from a fresh perspective. I re-prioritize. I can see why great souls retreat to the mountains to do their best thinking and deepest soul-searching. The timing for this family gathering couldn't have been more perfect because this was a soul-searching trip for me. and I came away from it with stronger resolve and feeling very at peace. Escapist? Maybe. But there you have it and I offer no apologies.

Are you a soul-searcher? If so, what do you do to create for yourself an optimum soul-searching environment?

2 comments:

  1. The idea of a Sasquatch way out here in the west is absurd. Everyone knows the only Sasquatch sightings were in West Virginia. My family is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, since I didn't see Sasquatch either, I can't help but think they made the whole thing up.

    ReplyDelete