"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Sunday, September 8, 2013

Dandelion Wine




 

At the beginning of the summer, we read Dandelion Wine for our monthly literary gathering to help start our summers the right way. The writing style is easy and natural, and the vignettes of individual characters are poignant and brightly painted. Not only is this an entertaining read, but the content is meaningful as well.

Some of the themes in this book that we discussed were:
  • youth vs. age, coming of age, living and dying
  • preserving time and happiness
  • record-keeping, memory-keeping, memorabilia
  • technology vs. nature
  • human nature vs. mother nature
  • reincarnation
We found so many interesting characters that we wanted to study from this novel but didn't have time to cover even a handful. I love this book so much that I would marry it if I weren't already married.

Thoughts? Have you read this delightful piece?

2 comments:

  1. I've read several different books by Ray Bradbury, and I've enjoyed everything I've read, but I haven't read that one. Perhaps I need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray Bradbury was an excellent author. I remember reading some of his short stories in elementary school that still haunt me a little...so good!

    ReplyDelete