"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Monday, April 8, 2013

Thoughts from My Heart

I recently had the opportunity to participate in a poetry reading, and prepared this new poem for the occasion:



Teaching My Daughter How To Breathe
By Laura Nielson Baxter

As I now understand,
it’s not so much the steady rise and fall
we’ve come to see it as,
but rather, a fall and a rise.

This is what I am learning:


                              I
     Didn't our world begin with a Fall?
     Will it not end in precise risen glory?


                              II
     The moon doesn't wax and wane,
     she wanes and waxes, ending
     with glorious light before starting anew.


                              III
     A victorious overture, a fresh restoration.


                               IV
     As I hold you in the dark and marvel
     at your tiny fingers
     I find myself
     counting your breaths and repeating simply
     We: are alive.
     You: are alive.
     I: am alive.


                              V
     Deep in my chest, it feels right
     that life is our mother, who counts our breaths
     in the same way, taking note
     of our sometimes ragged exhales
     but knowing the majesty the next inhale brings.


                              VI
     She breathes along with us to calm our hearts.
     That's what mothers do.


                              VII
     God's miracle for us is breath.
     His love is our Fall and Rise.


This is what I pray to him:
Let my contribution be clean.
Let my breath ameliorate.
Let my life end on an inhale.



It can be tricky to include vulnerability in my poetry, but it was refreshing this time to open up and speak candidly from my heart. However, it still took a lot of effort. Do you have any tips or tricks about quickly tapping in to that vulnerable and sensitive side? 

No comments:

Post a Comment