- ghost and phantoms solidifying and people fading into ghostliness
- various viewpoints on what makes a man or woman a gentleman or lady
- curses that are passed through generations, fatalism
- moments of insanity to remind us we are actually sane or moments of sanity to remind us we are actually insane
- bigamy, incest, sired offspring
- differences between men and women in dealing with grief, making do during rough situations, and what their aspirations are
- holding no grief or pity for oneself, but holding it for others.
Friday, March 25, 2011
I recently listened to Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner. It's heavy and intense, but really good. I think the best way to describe it is that it's a mix between Heart of Darkness (an all-time favorite!) and Oedipus Rex.