"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Classic

I've been feeling a bit under the weather this week, but I've still kept busy! I finished Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I thought it would be one of those Jane Austen-esque society romances, and although there were some traces, they weren't focal to the story.

It was a ghost love story with a redemptive ending. I just love redemptive endings, don't you? Well, the following are some items of note that I picked up on:
  • language: how to use it to make others more or less comfortable, how it distinguishes class
  • wildness vs. tameness
  • literacy: power of literacy, keeping foes illiterate to remain dominant over them
  • revenge and subsequent redemption
  • cursing and punishing children because of fathers' transgressions in the long-term
  • heaven and hell: different for each person and don't always match with the heaven/ hell one's beloved imagines
  • power contained in one's hatred or love for another
  • birthright: rightful heir, impostor children, right eventually conquers
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment