"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Thursday, November 14, 2013

Journey

To break up the monotony of a very long series of Asian travel posts, chew on this. We recently read Journey by Max Zimmer for our monthly literary discussion:


It's a semi-autobiographical novel about a young boy growing up with his immigrant parents in the Salt Lake City area. Reading this kind of book goes against everything in my book of literature rules, so I wasn't expecting much. However, I was pleasantly surprised, and by the end realized that I was actually interested in the book. It was a painful beginning, but I managed to get over it.

Plus, I'm a sucker for musical analogies, and I couldn't help but think of my amazing trumpet-playing brother, who is currently residing in the arctic tundra, or Canada. Sometimes they are the same. (Heyyy, little bro! Keep warm!)

So. I hear this is the first of three books and that the second book is better. (Reading books in series also usually goes against my book beliefs.) And the third book is supposed to come out next spring, and I'm trying really hard not to judge. I guess you could say this book sent me on my own difficult journey.

So, dish. What are your most ridiculously snobby reading rules you have, if any?

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to get over my snobby book rules. I've been signing up for book giveaways on Goodreads. If you win, you get the book for free in exchange for reviewing it. I've read a few I definitely didn't like, but it's been fun to overcome my snobbery and find a few gems I really did like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of you! It's a rough transition, I tell you what!

      Delete