"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Friday, August 30, 2013

Rodeo


We had a week-long break from the wee one as she was whisked away to Wyoming to spend time with her awesome aunts, cousins, and uncle. We got a LOT done while she was gone, and soaked up the one-on-one time with each other. It was like we were dating again! In fact, we went on a date pretty much every single night.

One date we went on was to a rodeo because we stumbled across free tickets...yee-haw! Note to self: tiny yellow shorts equals unintentional bum photo-bombing. Never wear.





My brother and delight of a sister-in-law doubled with us, and together we watched quite the show of raw red-neckedness. We ate the local fare, and were awed by the all-encompassing culture. I hadn't been to a rodeo since I was a kid, so it was interesting to look at it with my adult perspective. Plus, the rodeo royalty kept throwing Kirk prizes, which I can only assume is because he is a hottie. He came away with a free T-shirt, which is his favorite kind of shirt.

The most entertaining event was watching the wild cow milking contest. Yes, it's a real thing. Here's how it goes: teams of 3 chase wild cows around the ring until they corner and catch one long enough to milk it. Whoever can get a set volume to the judges first wins. Wild cows are pretty funny, but I think the guys who think it would be a good idea to chase them are even funnier: "Hey Chuck, how'd ya break yer face?" "Well, ya know, just tryin' ter milk a wild cow with my buddies." I don't think I'll ever forget the sight of three grown men being dragged along the ground by a bewildered and well-endowed bovine.

(Also, sidenote, I totally forgot I'm allergic to horses, so the experience got a little unbearable by the end with all the dust, hair, hay and poop kicked up into my face. If I ever go back to a rodeo, please remind me to take allergy medication beforehand so that I can actually see what's going on.)

Have you been to a rodeo? What was the most memorable part for you?

2 comments:

  1. Free T-shirts are my favorite kind of shirts as well. Also, consider this your reminder to take allergy medication next time.

    ReplyDelete