"A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of (her)his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beautiful God has implanted in the human soul."- Goethe















Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Jungle Books

Another book I've recently enjoyed re-reading was The Jungle Books, by Rudyard Kipling. I think the last time I read some of these stories was when I was in 7th grade. It was about time to read through all of the tales again with a few years' experience under my belt. I'm so glad I did! This is good entertainment, friends.



Themes to pay attention to are:
  • The laws of man, and the laws of the jungle (does nature follow laws?)
  • Man's mastery over animals (who is the master of the jungle?)
  • Nature's way of making civilization disappear; the vine vs. the wall
  • Traits of female characters and Kipling's definition of gender roles
  • Characteristics of protagonists including arrogance and confidence (how important are such characteristics to a successful hero?)

1 comment:

  1. My mom read a few of those stories to me when I was little. I've never read then for myself, though. Perhaps I'll need to sit down and give it a go.

    ReplyDelete